Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Camp Twitch and Shout Family Camp

I've mentioned previously that Monster Man attended Camp Twitch and Shout over the summer, and that the camp has come to mean a lot to him and to our family as a whole.  During the weekend of September 23 - 25, we got to experience Camp Twitch and Shout as a family.

When we arrived at the camp on Friday night, we were a little nervous.  We knew we would be sharing our cabin with another family, but we didn't know who that family would be.  What would it be like to be put in a cabin with a family we didn't even know?  I guess that is what Monster Man must've felt like when we first dropped him off at camp over the summer.  

We'd barely gotten a chance to introduce ourselves to our roommates (which, thankfully, turned out to be the family of one of the boys from Monster Man's summer cabin) when it was time for dinner, followed by some get-to-know-you games and then a dodgeball tournament.

The tournament was followed by s'mores around a campfire and then bedtime.  We had to turn in early because our Saturday was packed with activities.  Shortly after our breakfast, the kids were taken off in supervised groups while the parents had some time for a quick meeting followed by some Minute-To-Win-It games.

Afterward, we had some family time.  We took a few minutes to practice some archery, and then my hubby and the kids all went either kayaking or on paddle boats.

After lunch, the kids went back in their supervised groups while the adults got to enjoy some activities without the kids.  For my hubby, this meant wall-climbing.

After a kickball game and some more family time, it was time for a cookout in the pavilion.  Angel Baby enjoyed this a lot, since she ended up dancing before dinner with some of the counselors and campers.

That night, despite the cool temps, we had a pool party and a build-your-own ice cream sundae event.  We all enjoyed both events before turning in for the night. 

Sunday morning was a little sad.  While we enjoyed the activities that were planned, we knew that our time together was coming to an end.  After breakfast, we spent some family time doing activities we enjoyed.  We spent a little time fishing, and Little Man caught his first fish.

After our family time, the families all came together for some messy olymp-tics games.  

We barely had time to clean up before it was time for lunch and then closing ceremonies.  As part of the closing ceremonies, we were asked to write our wishes for Tourette Syndrome or for Camp Twitch and Shout on a card, which we attached to a balloon and let go at the end of the ceremony.  During the closing ceremony, everyone was invited to come up on stage and share his or her wish with the other campers.  Monster Man shared his wish, that he could have camp everyday, with the crowd before we released the balloons.

We were sad to see family camp come to an end, and to have to say goodbye to all the new friends we made while we were there.  We are already looking forward to Camp Twitch and Shout's family camp next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment