Followers

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Changing my own focus

One of the mothers on the National Tourette Syndrome Association's Facebook page posted a link last night to a blog post she had written on Giving up vs. Letting up.  She originally wrote the article almost a year ago, but I think she shared it with us at the perfect time.

Lately, I've had a lot of concern over about Monster Man and the issues he has had alongside the Tourette Syndrome.  Most of the time, we don't notice his tics anymore.  However, we can't help but notice his anxiety, the recent problems with lying, and the fact that he's been so easily distracted the past few days.  It's hard not to notice the anger he has been quick to express on more than one occasion.  Some days, it has seemed like my little boy has been slipping away from me, and it's been easy to want to search for any possible way to bring him back to me.

I've mentioned before that Monster Man has told me that he doesn't want any medication to take away his TS.  Instead, he's told me that God gave him TS to make him special.  He likes his tics because they are part of what makes him who he is.

The article reminded me that the TS is just a part of who Monster Man is.  He is so much more first.  I just have to stay focused on the comic, the artist, the softball player, the wanna be Nascar driver, the hockey fan, the intelligent student, ...

No comments:

Post a Comment