Followers

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Fish Oil

I think I've mentioned before that my hubby has epilepsy.  About six months ago, we got to noticing that he has had an improvement even in the number of little 'spasms' he has when he first wakes up, and that the improvements have seemed to have started since he began taking fish oil pills to help lower his cholesterol.  We thought it was a coincidence, but we kind of questioned whether or not it really could've played a role in his improvements.

While I was reading "Against Medical Advice", I happened to look at the back at the list of medications and vitamins that Cory Friedman had tried in an effort to improve his tics.  I notice that one of the items on the list was fish oil.  This really sparked my curiosity.  I mean, we'd already noticed that my hubby had improved.  Was it really possible that fish oil could improve the symptoms of neurological disorders?

I got to researching online, and it looks like it really is a possibility.  The DHA from the omega-3 fatty acids are linked both to brain and eye function.  I'd known that it was recommended for women to take during pregnancy to benefit the unborn baby, but I hadn't realized that adults could just as easily benefit from it.  From what I've read, it is possible that the DHA levels - required for brain and eye function - are lower in those with neurological disorders.  Since the levels are lower, and the small amount is being split between brain and eye function, there can symptoms such as the 'spasms' my hubby has been experiencing and the tics that Monster Man experiences on a daily basis.

I picked up a bottle of gummy vitamins today.  These are supposed to be mainly the omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil.  I'm going to have Monster Man start taking them every day to see if they help him like they have his dad.  Right now, anything that won't harm him is worth a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment